The Santa Clara Valley Chapter serves as a medium for the exchange of ideas, information and parts for the Model A Ford car. In addition the club aids its members in their efforts to restore, preserve, and maintain the car in its original likeness. This club exercises general supervision, direction, control, and assistance to its members in their restoration processes.
About Our Club
The following is an excerpt from our SCRIPT, dated February 27, 1961, Volume 1, Number 2, authored by Charter Member Edie Jones:
“As the latter part of 1951 was drawing to a close, a small group of hardy individuals, with a common love, formulated plans for an organization. The love these people tendered in their hearts was for the powerful purr of a four-banger engine embedded in a sturdy, dependable and distinguished carcass. These people cherished the Model A Ford. Regardless of year, style, type, or kind, they believed in the preservation, restoration, and enjoyment of their thirty-year-old piece of equipment.
Some of this group had lived through an earlier era of horseless carriages; some had beheld and believed in Henry’s earlier marvels; some of these people did not even prevail on this earth when the Golden Era of 1928 to 1931 turned out the Model A Ford. Nevertheless, their mutual interests banded together to form the Model A Club of Santa Clara Valley. Theirs was not the first of its kind, but none possessed the vigor and interest of this group.
When 1960 rolled around, the group had jelled, obtained a charter, and was bursting with ideas. To lead this group, “Mr. Model A” himself, Pete Taormino, was selected as President. To aid and assist him was Lee Sherman as Vice President, Thelma Sorich as Secretary, and Davor Sorich as Treasurer.
This “mutual admiration society” first met together with their “first loves” for a picture-taking session at Trader Lew’s on March 6, 1960. This event was the first recording of our machines to preserve for future years as to what we had started.”
Historian Edie Jones wrote this short synopsis of SCVC’s humble beginnings many years ago. In the same article, she went on to describe the club’s tours that first year:
“March 29 (1960) saw the cars chugging through the blossoms of Santa Clara Valley and terminating in the midst of chatter and ice cream in Saratoga”
It would be interesting to know how many mountains of ice cream this club has leveled since then! Our “thirty-year-old machines” have become venerable vehicles on the back side of seventy, and there aren’t many acres of blossoms left in this valley to explore. Time has inexorably marched on, and many of those old charter founders are no longer with us. But the spirit of the Santa Clara Valley Chapter endures, with an abiding affection for and commitment to preserve the Model A. Thanks to all those original SCVC-ers and their simple intent to gather a group of friends together with a common desire to keep these old Model A’s on the road.
The 2016 Installation Banquet was held at Agape Grill in Sunnyvale and featured feasting, friendship, fashion, awards, and of course the swearing in of the new board for 2017.
Chuck & Nora Elderton
Seminars - Men's
Seminars - Lady's
Nora Elderton & Nancy Peters
Fred & Joyce Wilkinson